As a result of a call from Suck Spring Meeting House in 1828, a group of Christians broke away to form the Hunting Creek Church which was organized in 1832. It was not until 1839 that a deed was recorded conveying property on which a log building was located. The deed refers to the building as Hunting Creek Meeting House.
During 1866, women were first ask to serve on the church boards. In September 1899 the Women’s Missionary Society was formed with 11 ladies of the church. That same year, the first paper mill was started and the Big Island community began to grow. Due to work schedules, the men did not always attend church in sufficient numbers in order to have a quorum to vote at business meetings so the word “male” was removed from the rules of order. This gave female members a right to vote.
Sometime between 1921-1925 a frame building replaced the log building. In the early twenties, the church ordained Rev. R.E. Brown. Sunday School rooms were added to the frame building during these years.
On June 3, 1921, Robert L. Camden, a young Hunting Creek member, was called to the ministry in which he served more than 60 years. He was named Pastor Emeritus in 1979 when he retired. The fellowship hall was named in his honor.
Depression settled on the land and financial support of the church was hard to find. The members kept the faith and celebrated the centennial of the church in September 1932, while Rev. J.M. Franklin was pastor.
Plans were begun for a new sanctuary in 1945 and the ground breaking ceremony was in January 1959. In February 1962 Hunting Creek Baptist Church moved into its new home.
In May 1958, Hunting Creek would be strong enough spiritually and financially to call Reverend Woodrow W. Neal as its first full time pastor.
On August 14th and 15th 1982, Hunting Creek celebrated 150 years of ministry to the community.
On September 29th and 30th 2007, Hunting Creek celebrated 175 years of ministry to the community.